Pages

Sunday 16 December 2012

A passionate lover



What might be original and interesting to say about love? For two weeks I’ve tried to find something exciting, fascinating, unusual, imaginative, curious, remarkable (maybe thorny) for this article, but I didn’t find anything. And then when I decided to sit down in front of the computer waiting for inspiration, some thoughts came to my mind: why not write about close love in my life? The mature love of a couple, the love between a woman and a man. Why not?

What happens with love after our fifties, sixties…? Our culture devalues old age and forgets that it’s a natural, necessary and unavoidable period of time in our lives. We can sometimes think that love ends with maturity. But it might only be the end of immaturity, as some authors say. It’s also true that love can’t be lived in the same way at any time. My love experience has changed according to my age and the different stages of my life. Now, in my fifties, I perceive love in a more realistic, calmer way. But I can still be madly in love every day!
Experience and maturity, in themselves, are a rank of maturity; that’s why love can be lived in its complete form in adulthood. And I’m sure that love can be more lasting in the prime of life. In my opinion, one of the most important attitudes to have about love is to bet on it and commit oneself to it every day and spend time and energy on your loved one.

Maybe all of that sounds corny, sentimental, ordinary… But after almost thirty years of living together, I love my husband!! And I feel that we love each other more than the first day. It’s not an ideal, it’s not a dream. I really feel like this…
   
                                                                                   
Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. Aristotle

When love is not madness, it is not love. Pedro Calderón de la Barca

Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. Robert Frost

Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you.' Erich Fromm

It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love. Miguel de Unamuno
"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.” Rebecca, age 8
"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs." Karl, age 5
"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford." Elaine, age 5
   
And people who give a lot of love, receive a lot of love. Love creates love. It can be great!
 Flamencodancer


1 comment:

  1. Wise observations on every day thoughts in a small piece of an awsome article!
    And I am not your husband!

    ReplyDelete