Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Virtual gastronomy


I must say I've never been too comfortable with this 'I-me-mine' phenomenon on the Internet (I like this, I do that, my 6,000 Facebook friends, etc. etc.). But since we're talking about food, I can't resist forcing some of my own personal obsessions on you all.

So here we go - a tour of Magic Bob's favourite cooking sites!

First stop is Pailin's Hot Thai Kitchen. I love Thai and Indian food, and in the Thai category, Pailin wins hands down. This charming, talented young woman receives lots of marriage proposals and you can see why (it's her Tom Kha Gai, obviously!). Check out this recipe from her great YouTube channel.




For Thai, Chinese and Japanese ingredients, I recommend the Supermercado Asiático on C/General Margallo, between Bravo Murillo and Orense, metro Tetuán. There are three or four other Asian groceries on that same street, but this is the biggest. Another place (small but good) is Asia, in the gallery next door to the Teatro Arlequín, San Bernardo & Gran Vía, metro Santo Domingo.

As far as I know, Thai basil is impossible to find in Madrid, but please tell me if I'm wrong!

Tip: add a tablespoon of palm sugar to your green curry - you won't regret it!

As for Indian recipes, there are many on YouTube (like the very spicy ones on the Vah Reh Vah channel), but also on VideoJug, an excellent how-to site with superbly simple cooking videos for all tastes.  






It's getting easier and easier to find Indian ingredients in Madrid, but the little shops along C/Miguel Servet in Lavapiés are the best and by far the cheapest!




We all love Jamie Oliver, don't we? OK, even if you don't, you have to admit he has some great recipes. Jamie's website is chock-full of them, many with videos. He's also good with a knife!




Jamie fans may salivate over the absurdly priced products at El Corte Inglés's new 'Gourmet Experience' but, unless you're on the PP's secret payroll, I would only go to laugh in derision.

Actually, I prefer The Minimalist, AKA Mark Bittman of the NY Times. It seems Mark is quite an aficionado of Spanish cooking, and even co-hosted (with Gwyneth Paltrow) a TV food tour series over here a few years ago. I didn't see it, but I know he's fond of 'serrano ham' and 'piquillo peppers'!




Finally, before there was Jamie, there was Delia (Smith), the queen of British cooking. She's won more awards than Elton John and Anthony Hopkins put together (I just made that up, actually) and Delia On-line is still one of the best Internet resources going. And yes, folks, British food can be jolly good!


Delia tastes a stew. Perfect again!



Here are a few others that I like:

International Vegetarian Union (enormous international recipe list)

La Garbancita (an organic food co-op in Vallecas)

MakeSushi (roll your own!)


That's all for now. Happy cooking!

                                                                                            Magic Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment